Saturday, July 10, 2010

Baby Jennings has arrived!

After a long day of somewhat irregular but progressively contractions on Wednesday we decided to head in to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain and due to our history was really concerned for the baby. Hubby called to see if we could go in and glad we didn't wait. They informed us over the phone that I was GBS+ with this pregnancy. Dunno why I was never told at my appointment since the test was done several weeks previous. We arrived shortly after 8pm that evening and after being examined by the nurse the on-call doctor had me admitted and started the antibiotics. I was dilated to 5cm, 70% effaced and my bag was bulging. My contractions were registering on the machine as coming more frequently than I had indicated. When I did feel them I was in a lot of pain. I eventually decided to get an epidural later that evening. That really helped me to feel better. At 12:40am Thursday morning they broke my water and for a while I progressed some more with the assistance of pitocin, but then I stalled for a good 4 hours even though the contractions were pretty intense on the monitor. Baby started having some decellerations as well but was recovering quickly. Stressed me out but the doctors kept saying he was okay. I eventually progressed to 8 1/2 cm and 90% but then my cervix started to swell. Ultimately the doctor decided a c-section was necessary which although not ideal I felt that it was the best way to go to get baby out safely. At 2:45pm our little man was delivered. He didn't do well on the apgars. First a 2 and then a 6 and he wasn't letting out that big loud cry that everyone wants to hear. His breathing was abnormal and he was grunting. Daddy did get to hold him briefly and show him to me but then they took him to the nursery while I was being finished up. They did bloodwork which indicated that he had an infection but they still don't know what exactly. They started antibiotics and the second round of bloodwork shows that his immune system is kicking in and working and the meds are working. The initial chest x-ray revealed nothing but the second one showed a tiny anterior hole. He's been under and oxygen tent but they've been progessively turning things down. They had to turn it up some Friday afternoon after some rapid breathing episodes. They repeated the chest x-ray fearing the worst but it came back clear with no sign of the hole. They were able to turn down the oxygen some more. I finally got to see ALL of him last night since I was finally strong enough to walk but still cannot hold him which is killing me. He let out some awesome cries last night while we were there. The first time either of us has heard him cry that well. Nurses said he's usually pretty quiet and the best baby in the nursery. Glad to hear him fussing though and we were certainly pissing him off. We had the nurse do his footprints in our baby book. As of this morning he's pretty much the same but the nurse told Eric that he did have some more rapid breathing and so far the pediatrician hasn't been up to see any of the babies. Hopefully we will know more soon. We were told yesterday to expect at least a 7-10 day stay for baby. I most likely will be discharged Sunday(tomorrow) so not sure I will get to hold baby before going home. Both the ped. and OB docs have recommended going home and try and get things back to normal before baby comes home. How that is possible is beyond me. Normal would be to bring baby home with me!